2 cups water
1 1/4 cups sugar (I used vanilla sugar so you will see vanilla beans in the pictures, but regular sugar is just fine)
3/4 cup dry white wine
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cinnamon stick snapped in half
the zest of one lemon (I used a vegetable peeler and got big strips)
1/4 teaspoon peppercorns
6 ounces raspberries
- Put all of the ingredients except the peaches and raspberries into a large pot.
- Halve the peaches and remove the pit.
- Add the peaches and bring the pot to a boil.
- Cover the pot with parchment paper and reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook the peaches in the poaching liquid for 7-10 minutes (this depends on the peaches. I checked mine every few minutes and pulled them when I could get a knife through them with no resistance, but they were not completely mushy.)
- Take the peaches out of the cooking liquid.
- Add half of the raspberries to the cooked peaches.
- Add the remaining raspberries to the pot and bring it back to a boil. Reduce the cooking liquid to about half.
- Strain the poaching liquid.
- Pour the glorious poaching liquid over the peaches and raspberries.
- These are perfect just like this. But they would be pretty tasty in your morning cereal, oatmeal or on top of a waffle or pancake. Vanilla ice cream? Yes please.